How to Stay Young Forever

Slowdown Your Aging

Some people believe that aging is inevitable and that to stay young forever is impossible. However, the science of aging is continually advancing and we are gradually learning what can be done to stay young--or at least a little younger--forever.

List of Instructions
Step 1
Don't smoke. Period. It increases free radicals, which lead to cell death, it wrecks your lungs so you can't exercise
and it affects your social life.
Step 2
Eat your essential fatty acids. The American Heart Association recommends you eat fish twice a week to get enough omega-3, omega-6 and DHA into the body. It helps cells be flexible and permeable and has been shown to be an important part of the cells of the nervous system, blood vessels and skin
. That means they help with the wrinkles and the brains, isn't that perfect? Oily fish is the best, but not because it's deep fried with chips.
Step 3
Maintain a healthy weight. Overweight is hard on the joints and it's hard on the heart that has to work overtime to carry the extra weight. Not only that, but fat can sit in nasty places like artery walls where it stops blood from getting where it needs to go. Heart attacks are not very youthful. Underweight isn't much better. Bones and muscles get robbed of building material to give the rest of the body energy. It wrecks your kidneys and can lead to early menopause and osteoporosis.
Step 4
Include lots of colorful vegetables in your diet, especially orange and yellow ones, which are a high source of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is an antioxidant which means it can fight free radicals in the body. It helps the body's cells stay on a normal healthy path rather than wander off and die or become cancerous. Beta carotene also is converted into vitamin A, which helps keep your skin young and your eyes working.
Step 5
Work your heart. Cardiovascular exercise, also known as aerobic exercise is a workout
that makes your heart muscle pump a little harder for a period of time. By keeping the heart muscle in shape, it is less likely to deteriorate. By keeping the heart muscle strong and pumping, blood pressure is lowered and blood flows to more places in the body. Blood flow to the skin, the brain and the digestive system, are healthy, youthful body attributes.
Step 6
Stay strong. Do weight training at least twice a week. Strong muscles lead to strong bones, which don't break as easily. Broken hips make you feel old. Strong muscles give you independence to do simple things like open jars and chop wood.
Step 7
Balance. Balance deteriorates with age, but it can be trained and maintained. Practicing balance by doing yoga or dancing or even standing on one leg in the kitchen is great neuromuscular exercise. In other words it keeps the body and brain in touch. If you have balance you reduce your chances of falling and testing your bones for strength.
Step 8
Think. Use your brain to learn, do crossword puzzles, math problems or simply read stimulating material. If you don't use it, you lose it. Research has consistently shown that older adults who are regularly stimulating their brains are less prone to mental deterioration.
Step 9
Be young. Laugh, dance, visit, and explore new things. Attitude is everything.

Comments

  1. I love it!!! How exciting - I really love the tips and step-by-step instructions. I especially love the cardio (as you probably already know), but what's really cool is....

    I've recently designed a whole new approach to doing cardio on the treadmill that I'd like to share with you! It's an amazing workout (I've never seen anyone doing it) and it's great for balance as you mentioned....it includes, at a high speed and performance-level running backwards, sideways, sideway jumping jacks and doing 360's and/or all of the mentioned one after another. As you recall (My NYCS nick name Hip-Hop), I've also incorporated a little dancing on the treadmill throughout my new workout....especially when it's a great song....I lose track of anyone and everyone at the gym.....just me and my treadmill.

    I can do at least 10 360's in a row on the treadmill with my starting position which would be first running backwards at a 3.0 incline going 4.8 rate of speed. I've never gotten so much attention at the gym with my new treadmill workout....I call it my "360 High-Performance Treadmill Workout"......Unlike running forward, it really does a great job at working most of the muscles in the legs, butt and abs. I've already inspired several Boston Sports Club Trainer's who are now trying to do my workout and several members...........LOL.....it's soooo much fun.

    As I've always said, if I only have 30 minutes before the gym closes or if I only have 30 minutes to spare, I run on the treadmill which for me is the quickest way to reduce stress. But truth be told - I've been getting so bored with the treadmill so I started doing a little dancing on the treadmill (great dance music is a MUST), as well as walking backwards, sideways and in complete circles.....once my balance improved, I found myself increasing the speed and finding new and fun ways of making the treadmill work for me.

    I love it! And I love your blog!!!!!!!! I look forward to hearing from you and other's as they try making the treadmill work for them!

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your sharing your great new work out.. would love to see you make a video of it and post it on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking young and feeling young - there is a difference. A person may be old but he should be feeling alive and young all the time. This is the life which has a purpose for everyone. I eat healthy food, Goji Berry Juice, green vegetable, boiled, no oil, no spices, only healthy food is in my list for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment