It is common during a Dental examination to hear the dentist talk about healthy teeth, and most people are surprised to find out that straight teeth are healthier than crooked teeth. How is that so?
Here are 10 reasons that your Dentist may talk to you about straight teeth.
1. Straight teeth help an individual to effectively bite, chew and speak.
2. Straight teeth contribute to healthy teeth and gums.
3. Properly aligned teeth and jaws may alleviate or prevent physical health problems.
4. Straight teeth are less prone to decay and injury. Decay results when the bacteria in plaque feed on sugars and starches we eat or drink to produce acids that can cause cavities. Plaque can also increase the risk for gum disease.
5. As for injuries to teeth, protruding upper teeth are more likely to be broken in an accident.
6. Untreated orthodontic problems may become worse. This can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, destruction of the bone that holds teeth in place, and chewing and digestive difficulties.
7. Orthodontic problems can cause abnormal wear of tooth surfaces, inefficient chewing function, excessive stress on gum tissue and the bone that supports the teeth, or misalignment of the jaw joints, sometimes leading to chronic headaches or pain in the face or neck.
8. Treatment by an orthodontist to correct a problem early may be less costly than restorative dental care.
9. Teeth that work better also tend to look better. An attractive smile is a pleasant “side effect” of orthodontic treatment.
10. An attractive smile is a wonderful asset, in fact, one of your best social assets. It contributes to self-esteem, self-confidence and self-image—important qualities at any age.